Monday, June 16, 2008

Mexico - lindo y querido!

The longer I live here the more that sentence comes to life! There's probably not a day that passes where I don't think that thought - it puts a smirk on my face. (Well, half a smirk at least!)

Today was a classic though! We were on rest day so thought to hop over to the Walmart area to catch a flick! - That would be Mig, Esther, and their adorable princess baby, Charlie. - And of course Joy and I! Jamie lends us her car seeing as today is a day that 2 of the vehicles in our Home don't circulate. (I point this out as its been a faithful car, but its small...which does NOT suit Mexico or our tope - a.k.a. speed bump - land.)

All seems to be going well - we watched The Zohan...such a dumb movie, but oh my god, Adam Sandler has an awesome body in it! (Body, I said body - not package.) though the electricity does go off half-way into the movie. It comes on as does the movie, so that ends, and we're heading out and figure to grab some stuff in Walmart, when Miguel suggests he goes to get the car to drive us over - only to get back shortly after saying "I think we'd better get what we want from Walmart first, the car is in a flood of water." - And he wasn't exaggerating. Thankfully the car wasn't submerged or anything, but there was literally a good foot and a half of lake around the car!! - There was even a nearby pothole gushing water out so strong it moved the lid clear out of its path by the sheer force of the water.

We managed to get through some puddles on our way to Walmart, not too bad, just wet feet (ewww) only to find ourselves chuckling at the leaking roofs - they had buckets catching leaks, can you imagine it? Walmart in Mexico - complete with leaks. Ha! Mig waded through the lake to get to the car, but seriously, there was NO getting out of that parking lot - the roads were flooded and the cars backed up to where they weren't moving - at all!

So guess what we did? We went back into the cinema and watched another movie. Ha! I mean, seriously, why sit in traffic for hours when you could just let it pass and do something more comfortable/enjoyable in the meanwhile? So that's what we did! We got back to the movie theater just a few minutes before the next showing of Hulk, so watched that - and boy are we glad we did as when we got out of the cinema, the roads were still backed up with traffic and flooded. The parking lot wasn't as flooded but the roads still were and the Periferico was a nightmare. I felt so bad for those poor people sitting in that traffic. - It was crazy!

We managed to get Home in an hour and a half (what is usually a half hour drive at the worst), at one point we weren't moving for a bit to where I jumped out and got some Tamales (first meal a couple of us had eaten all day - ahem), and by a miracle we followed a check to not take a back road (which we were heading for at first hoping to avoid traffic) to where we made it home fast the last stretch, but seriously, the city planning is just NOT conducive for flash floods. - And those happen a lot here. Rainy season has begun, at least our grass will be green, but its just pitiful to think that next time it rains like that, it's going to be the same story.

At least we had an adventure to tell! - I think it's time to pull these out again.

2 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, Blogger mig.moon said...

"AY AY AY AY... Canta y no llores!" That's what I would've ben singing. Good narration... I could picture it all.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Gabe Rucker said...

Oh man how I miss it.... LOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home