A random question to random geeks anywhere really!
So, I'm wondering one thing, and because I'm too busy to research it (not to mention that it's not that important really) I figured I'd ask and see what folks say. - How, oh how, can some "charity" know that I forwarded an e-mail that's supposed to help some child that's dying of something, and donate however many cents to the medical bill? - What good is it to them and how do they keep track anyway?
I realize that their "good works" is getting out there, but seriously, 7 cents for each e-mail, PALEEEASE! (Yes, I know that's misspelled, that's on purpose) - Just give the child the funds, and count your reward in Heaven! - That's what really matters. Besides, how will they know who and how many e-mails I sent it to? I use BCC for multiple/bulk e-mails - not to mention that I rarely, if ever, forward that stuff (seeing as I know some certain someones - ahem...Dan...cough...cough - who came up with them randomly to see how far they went, and they were totally untrue) .
Realistically though - what is the plot and is there even some reasoning or reality behind this "deal"? Is there a way for a company to keep track of an e-mail and where it goes? I'm actually really interested, as if it's true, sure, there's no loss in forwarding (BCC) to as many as possible, if it helps I'm all for it, but honestly, can it even work? I don't get it... :(
Anyone know?
I realize that their "good works" is getting out there, but seriously, 7 cents for each e-mail, PALEEEASE! (Yes, I know that's misspelled, that's on purpose) - Just give the child the funds, and count your reward in Heaven! - That's what really matters. Besides, how will they know who and how many e-mails I sent it to? I use BCC for multiple/bulk e-mails - not to mention that I rarely, if ever, forward that stuff (seeing as I know some certain someones - ahem...Dan...cough...cough - who came up with them randomly to see how far they went, and they were totally untrue) .
Realistically though - what is the plot and is there even some reasoning or reality behind this "deal"? Is there a way for a company to keep track of an e-mail and where it goes? I'm actually really interested, as if it's true, sure, there's no loss in forwarding (BCC) to as many as possible, if it helps I'm all for it, but honestly, can it even work? I don't get it... :(
Anyone know?

7 Comments:
A random answer to a special non-geek somewhere!
Most people don't know how to use BCC so they just send it CC and the company has a secret email address amongst the others so it knows who has sent it.
Someone wifey knows did that to me and unknown to her she was spreading a nasty virus.
GBY!
Pete
As stated above the only way it can be seen how far an email gets is if it's continually CC'd to all INCLUDING THE SENDER. Outside of doing that it's pretty much impossible for them to track a forwarded email (unless they have some serious access to mail servers globally!)
However the whole charity spin to 99.9% of these chain letters is a hoax. Seriously why would they donate something based on the amount of people or times you forwarded the message? No more often than note there's an advertisement at the bottom of the page that they get some revenue from.
Chain mail has been existence long before email and back then folks still fell for it. Do the right thing:
Delete it and save Bill Gates a penny!
This is Stephen. If you add me to your skype Bill Gates will donate 1$ to the Abandoned Amphibian Fund.
Thank you for your support!
Boy Bill Gates is generous these days eh?
LOL Stephen - Abandoned Amphibians? Sounds like something I could donate towards though - the world needs more frogs that turn into princes. :P
But Bill Gates? Wow!
These things usually have a catch to them too. Remember we are talking about the Enemy influenced System. The original web site gets feedback about your email address and confirmation that it's active, thus that you obviously use it regularly, therefore it's worth sending Spam advertising to you since there's more chance that you will respond!
Pete
Hi Cel, just delete that type of emails. They are a waste of time, bad sec. and a bunch of baloney! Nobody gets a cent by sending those emails around. I usually check www.snopes.com and it has a list of all the junk/spam/hoax mail that is sent daily. Love u girl
Post a Comment
<< Home