Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Grasping this is my challenge!

I re-read these quotes on my brother's quote page:

I can take my telescope and look millions of miles into space; but I can lay my telescope aside, go into my room and shut the door, and while in earnest prayer I see more of Heaven and get closer to God than I can when assisted by all the telescopes and material agencies on earth.

--Isaac Newton


The moment you wake up each morning, all your wishes and hopes for the day rush at you like wild animals. And the first job each morning consists in shoving it all back; in listening to that other voice, taking that other point of view, letting that other, larger, stronger, quieter life come flowing in.

--C.S. Lewis


We all know that prayer is not the least you can do but the most! Why, of why, does it seem so hard to just do that and not try to work at things to fix them? I always have to fight vehemently to take that time in the Word, in prayer, in intercession for others. Its not that I don't want to, nor do I not realize how important it is to my spiritual life and the general running of life. But the thoughts, the "to-dos", all that runs through my head, they're impossible to put to words, but let's just say they're a million and one, and they're always about all the work that is pending. I'll often go to bed at night thinking of such and such a situation, or remember how so and so is still waiting on us, so on and so forth. - Really, the list is endless.

I know it’s not me, I know I'm human (yes, believe it or not I have to remind myself of that - pitiful as it sounds - otherwise I actually feel guilty), and I know there's only so much I can do. I'm not lazy, I'm not a slacker, and if anything it’s because I'm trying to do the job right, in a personable manner, which means it might take a little longer.

Prayer! - I do a lot of that, I really do, but it’s just so hard to trust that it’s enough. Faith, and I guess prayer, without works is dead too, so there is a balance, but I think at this point the "work" part isn't lacking in my life, it’s the trust and faith part. LHM! I should know better! – I do! I’ve had those great days where, yes, I work hard, I get into a project, and at the end of the day I feel as if I accomplished something. – And if I look back I can see that there was that key factor that sparked all those things going well, or the contentment in my heart and the peace that I did what I could. – It was starting the day off right and, as C.S. Lewis says “listening to that other voice, taking that other point of view, and letting that other, larger, stronger, quieter life come flowing in”.

Oh well, I won’t let it discourage me – I will keep trying - let’s just hope I get the point! Have a great day! :)

1 Comments:

At 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Enemy is always on the attack, always trying to persuade us we're too busy for prayer.

Hey, try this, it works! First thing in the morning, as soon as you wake up say "Good Morning Jesus". That puts you in a good mood straight away and prayer comes more easily.
GBY!
dd777

 

Post a Comment

<< Home